• header-content

Pasadena Water & Power

  • New & Upgraded Services

    PWP's Electric and Water Utility Planning Groups are at your service to help customers understand the requirements for new or upgraded electrical and water services.  Our highly qualified Utility Service Planners are available to assist you at:


    Electric Service Planning
    1055 E. Colorado Blvd, Suite 350
    Pasadena, CA 91106
    (626) 744-4495


     Water Service Planning
    150 S. Los Robles Ave, Suite 200 
    Pasadena, CA 91101
    (626) 744-4495

    Utility Service Planners are available to assist you with your project from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and every other Friday. Click here to see a complete list of PWP holidays and closed Fridays. 


  • General Information

    The following information is provided to serve as a guide to help customers understand what is required for new or upgraded electrical and water services. It is the responsibility of the customer to determine if any new construction places existing power facilities in conflict with any federal, state or local codes.  Any relocation work by the utility to maintain proper clearances will be at the expense of the customer.

    In an effort to process your plans for new electrical service, or to complete the upgrading of an existing electrical service as promptly as possible, PWP will require the following, as applicable:


    Single Family Residences or Small Commercial (200 Amps or less)

    1. New residences or new commercial: PWP will require a load schedule and main switch size before PWP can approve plans for a building permit. These can be shown on the building plans or separately forwarded to the Utility Services Planning Section.
    2. To change point of connection, relocate, replace or upgrade an existing overhead or an underground electric service will require a meeting on the job site with a Utility Service Planner in order to determine the service and meter location. A load schedule and the main switch size will be required at that time.
    3. Please schedule a field appointment by calling Utility Service Planning Section at (626) 744-4495.

    Single Family Residences, Apartment and Condominium Complexes (over 200 amps) or Large Commercial and Industrial Development

    1. Voltages of 120/208Y, 277/480Y or higher will require provisions for PWP transformers on private property as do all services over 200 amps single phase or over 100 amps of three phase. Voltages of 120/240 three phase, four wire delta are not available regardless of ampacity.
    2. Your building plans should include a plot plan (must be to scale), elevations, building cross section, the load schedules of the individual units and main fusing, a single line drawing with main disconnect and the suggested meter and vault locations. Please include the building square footage. All existing utilities must be identified on drawings (overhead poles, underground pull boxes, etc.)
    3. Your electrical plans will be reviewed by the Utility Services Planning Section at (626) 744-4495. Please submit 2 copies of each site plan electrical sheets for review with owner developer name, mailing address and phone number. Also, a construction schedule must be provided. All information must be submitted in order to proceed with a review. 

    Please refer to Regulation 21 for rules and regulations regarding electrical service connections


    Water - All Services

    1. Plumbing or Architectural plans showing fixtures will be reviewed and approved by the Utility Service Planning Section and by a Cross Connection Specialist.
    2. Questions regarding new or upgraded water service or construction should be directed to the Utility Services Planning Section at (626) 744-4495.
    3. For portable water construction meters, contact the Water Meter Services Section at (626) 744-3809.

    Please refer to Water Service Regulations for rules and regulations regarding water service connections


    Special Notes:

    • All new or upgraded electrical services over 200 amps of single phase or over 100 amps of three phase will require the provisions for City owned transformers on private property.
    • PWP requires all charges to be paid prior to connecting or energizing any new or upgraded services.
    • Copies of the City of Pasadena Water and Power Department's "Electrical Rules and Regulations" and the "Electric Service Guidelines" are available by calling the Utility Service Planning Section.
    • In addition to the forgoing PWP requirement, it will be necessary for the customer to apply for a utility billing account if a new service is involved. This will set up your meter reading and billing accounts. A deposit may be required for new service.
Water Usage Gauge