Some areas of the City are governed by existing Master Development Plans. These plans set forth the rules for development on property owned by major public institutions in Pasadena and are the implementation tools of the General Plan in these areas. The Master Plans set forth the maximum amount, type and location of future development which will occur for the institution during the lifespan of the master Plan. For specific information about any of these projects, contact the Community Planning Section at (626) 744-4009.
Visit Master Plan Development Procedures to learn more about the process.
Existing Master Development Plans have been adopted by the City Council for the following institutions:Annandale Golf ClubArt Center College of Design Art Center College of Design - South Campus California Institute of Technology Chandler School Fuller Seminary Hillsides Children Home Huntington Memorial Hospital Lake Ave. Congregational Church Las Encinas Hospital Mayfield Senior SchoolMonte Vista GroveNew Horizons SchoolPasadena Christian SchoolPasadena Historical SocietyPolytechnic SchoolSaint Luke's Medical CenterSaint Philip's ParishValley Hunt ClubWestridge School for GirlsWilliam Carey University
ANNANDALE GOLF CLUB - Approved September 2, 1986
Annandale Golf Club is a private institution established in 1906. Located at 1 North San Rafael Avenue, the campus includes an 18-hole golf course, two full tennis courts, and banquet facilities. The Master Plan for the Club provides land use regulations and development standards by which new development would be exempt from discretionary review. The golf course was renovated in 2007.
ART CENTER COLLEGE OF DESIGN - (Five-year Master Development Plan) Approved June 1989
The Art Center is a private college located at 1700 Lida Street. The Art Center moved to the 175-acre, Hillside Campus in 1976. The Art Center offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in a variety of art and design fields. The Master Development Plan allowed the addition of 47,472 square feet (Tyler addition) to the existing academic building (Ellwood “bridge” Building) for a total of 168,000 square feet and expansion of the existing south parking lot by adding 200 subterranean spaces set into the hillside.
ART CENTER COLLEGE OF DESIGN - SOUTH CAMPUS - (Ten-year Master Development Plan) Approved March 2005
The Art Center College of Design South Campus opened at 950 South Raymond Avenue in 2004. The Master Plan site is comprised of two parcels totaling 106,600 square feet. The Master Development Plan allows the addition of up to a 175 unit / 334 bed student housing complex to the existing 93,410 square foot classroom/office building on the South Campus. The student housing would be constructed on top of a three level, underground parking structure accommodating up to 450 cars.
CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY- (30-year Master Development Plan) Approved April 1989; Amended September 1995, August 1999, & December 2006
California Institute of Technology (Caltech) is private university that offers instruction at both undergraduate and graduate levels and is recognized as a leading research center. Caltech was founded in 1891. Enrollment for 2007-2008 is forecasted at 2,220 students. The Caltech campus encompasses approximately 124 acres. The Master Plan allows new academic and administrative facilities in two areas of the campus, with the majority constructed between the existing campus and Del Mar Boulevard. A limited amount of development will take place at an area south of California Boulevard and north of the existing playing fields. The maximum total area of new academic and administrative area north of California Boulevard, and bounded by Holliston Avenue, Wilson Avenue, and Del Mar Boulevard, is 1.6 million gross square feet. The development limit for the two building envelopes on the south California Boulevard frontage and north of the playing fields is 150,000 square feet of net new gross building space. The latest amendment to the Master Development Plan approved the following:
CHANDLER SCHOOL - (15-year Master Development Plan) Approved March 11, 1987, Amended August 3, 1998 & June 16, 2008
Chandler School is private school for children attending kindergarten through eighth grade established in 1958 at 1005 Armada Drive. The school campus is located on the east rim of the Central portion of the Arroyo Seco. An amendment to the school’s Master Plan was approved to allow the expansion and renovation of the middle school facilities at the southern end of the campus. Enrollment will increase to accommodate up to a total of 450 students.
The main components of the master plan are the following:
FULLER THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY - Approved November 20, 2006 (20-year Master Plan)
Fuller Theological Seminary, founded in 1947, is a multi-denominational private learning institution that offers 25 different master’s and doctoral degree programs through it’s Schools of Theology, Psychology and Intercultural Studies. Fuller Theological Seminary relocated to the present location which now generally encompasses landholdings in a four-square block area from Corson Street to Union Street and Los Robles Avenue to Madison Avenue. The Seminary campus includes a through-lot from Madison to El Molino Avenue (former Montgomery Engineering Building). The Master Plan allows Fuller Seminary to increase the affordable student housing, maintain properties that are deemed as historical resources, expand the academic facilities, improve parking efficiency, and increase student enrollment to 2,014 students. Four phases of residential construction and four phases of academic construction are proposed. The residential phases consist of 514 new units and renovation of a 92-unit apartment complex. The academic phases include construction of a 500-seat chapel, a 50,000-square foot library expansion, construction of an academic complex (180,000 square feet), and a 450-space parking structure.
HILLSIDES HOME FOR CHILDREN - (Ten-year Master Development Plan) Approved June 1993
Hillsides Home for Children is located at 940 Avenue 64 in the southwestern area of the city between Church Street and the city limit with Los Angeles. The Master Development Plan covered the following activities:
HUNTINGTON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL - (40-year Master Development Plan) Approved February 1987; Amended September 1994, November 2005 & February 2008
Huntington Memorial Hospital covers approximately 26 acres of land and has been located at its Congress Street address since 1902. The hospital boundaries are California Boulevard to the north, Fair Oaks Avenue to the east, Bellefontaine to the south and Pasadena Avenue to the west. Over the past 100 years, the hospital has physically expanded to meet the growing demand for both patient care and medical research facilities. In 1987 the City Council approved the Huntington Memorial Hospital Master Plan to provide for future expansion of the hospital over a period of 40 years with a total of 606 beds provided. In February 2008, the Master Plan was amended to include the emergency department and vertical expansion. With this amendment, the Master Plan boundary was changed and Fairmount Avenue (a private street) will be rerouted.
LAKE AVENUE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH - Approved December 1985
The Lake Avenue Congregational Church is located on the northwest corner of Lake Avenue and Corson.The Master Development Plan allowed the construction of a new sanctuary seating 3,000 worshippers , a three-level parking structure to provide approximately 400 parking spaces, a four-story, multi-use Christian Education Building for Sunday School and Recreation/Fellowship Hall, and expansion of the fourth floor of Hutchins Hall to provide additional Christian Education space and expansion of the Administrative space. All of the above proposed projects have been completed.
LAS ENCINAS HOSPITAL - (2900 E. Del Mar Boulevard) – Ten-year master plan for the 24.7-acre property approved September 21, 2009; Master Plan originally approved March 1987.
Las Encinas Hospital is a health care institution originally established in 1904. The Master Plan allows construction of outpatient medical offices, an inpatient psychiatry hospital, an adolescent psychiatry unit, an assisted living facility, an independent living facility, detached independent living units for seniors, and a parking structure. In addition, the expansion project would allow adaptive reuse of existing buildings.
MAYFIELD SENIOR SCHOOL - Approved November 1986; Amended November 2006
Mayfield Senior School is an existing private school (9th through 12th grade) for girls located in the southwest part of the City of Pasadena. Mayfield Senior School has operated at 500 Bellefontaine Street since 1950. The Master Development Plan (MDP) increases enrollment to 330 students and improves their campus facilities and vehicle circulation. The MDP anticipates the acquisition and demolition of an adjacent single family house (465 Orange Grove Circle) as well as the demolition of the Carriage House.
MONTE VISTA GROVE HOMES MASTER DEVELOPMENT PLAN - (20-year Master Development Plan) Approved December 1990; Amended January 2007
Monte Vista Grove Homes (MVGH) located at 2889 San Pasqual Street is a Christian community dedicated to providing affordable housing to retired Presbyterian ministers, missionaries, Certified Christian Educators, Certified Musician Associates, Commissioned Lay Pastors, and their spouses; and also to providing quality skilled nursing and assisted living accommodations for the elderly, regardless of church affiliation. Myron Hunt and H. C. Chambers outlined the Monte Vista Campus in a Master Plan between February 1927 and April 1928 and twelve of the buildings are attributed to Hunt and Chambers. Because of the Depression in 1929 the Master Plan was not allowed to proceed to its full development. The Master Development Plan is divided into several phases. The Master Development Plan covers the following activities:
NEW HORIZONS SCHOOL - (Ten-year Master Development Plan) Approved April 1997
New Horizons (founded in 1984) is a private school located on a 2.4 acre site at the northwest corner of Orange Grove Boulevard and Cypress Avenue (adjacent to the 210 freeway). The maximum enrollment is 240 students in grade levels from pre-school through eighth grade. The Master Development Plan approved construction of eight classrooms, a library, 360-seat auditorium and offices (25,780 square feet of building area).
PASADENA CHRISTIAN SCHOOL - (Fifteen-year Master Development Plan) Approved December 1998; Amended October 2001 & March 2009.
Pasadena Christian School is a private school with grade levels from pre-school through eighth grade. The school is located south of Howard Street, between Los Robles and Garfield Avenues. The school is approximately 6.9 acres and has been at this location for over 50 years. The maximum enrollment is 688 students. The City Council approved an amendment to the Master Plan that consists of two phases. The major elements (Phases) of the amendment are: 1) construction of a single-story 8,323-square foot Junior High building; and 2) a second-story addition of 11,800-square feet to the existing Elementary Classroom building and 16,460-square foot two-story additions to the Elementary Classroom and Multi-Purpose buildings.
PASADENA HISTORICAL SOCIETY - (Ten-year Master Development Plan) Approved March 1988
The Pasadena Historical Society is 2.12 acres. The main building is the Fenyes Mansion at 170 N. Orange Grove Boulevard. Also on the site is the Sauna or Finnish Fold Art Museum behind the Fenyes Mansion. Behind the mansion is the Finnish Folk Art Museum; a replica of a Finnish farm house which houses a small collection of folk art from Finland. In 1970, the estate was entrusted to the Pasadena Historical Society. The Fenyes mansion remains intact and furnished with its original furniture. The Master Development Plan permitted the construction of a 12,200 square foot, two-story building with one story underground. The History Center provided space for the society’s library and climate controlled storage space for artifacts, costumes and textiles. The Center contained 100-seat lecture hall for special events and exhibition galleries, a conservation workroom, a public research room, and administrative offices.
POLYTECHNIC SCHOOL - (Ten-year Master Development Plan) Approved 1992; Amended April 2005
The Master Development Plan maintains the maximum enrollment at 861 students. The Master Development Plan proposes building envelopes of new building area for the North and South Campuses and athletic fields (20,000 square feet for each campus for a total of 40,000 square feet; 10,000 square feet for the fields) not to exceed 45,000 square feet of net new construction. Also included in the scope of the Master Plan are improvements to the interiors of existing buildings, the construction of a swimming pool, and a subterranean, 248-space, two-level parking structure southwest of the intersection of California Boulevard and Wilson Avenue. Specific building projects would be designed and rendered over the life of the Master Plan as funding becomes available. This may also include building plans for temporary classrooms as needed. The Master Development Plan would be implemented in four phases.
SAINT LUKE'S MEDICAL CENTER - Approved 1986
The approximate 18 acre Saint Luke Medical Center, located at 2750 East Washington Boulevard, is bounded by Washington Boulevard on the north and east, Del Rey Avenue on the west and Woodlyn Road on the south.The Moderne style Saint Luke hospital was constructed in 1933 by the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Orange. Over the years, the Medical Center physically expanded on the site to meet the evolving needs of new technology and patient care. Additions constructed in 1945 and 1948 blend in well with the original architecture. A front wing added in 1976 does have a negative visual impact on the building. A medical office building was constructed on the site in 1983 and a co-generation facility in 1984. Other minor additions and remodeling took place throughout the years. Saint Luke hospital contains adequate cultural, historical and architectural significance to be considered for local Cultural Heritage Landmark designation. The Master Development Plan covered the following activities: Phase I (1988)
Phase II (1989)
SAINT PHILIP THE APOSTLE PARISH MASTER PLAN - (Ten-year Master Development Plan) Approved July 2005 St. Philip The Apostle Parish is located between Hill Street and Holliston and Green Street and Cordova Boulevard. The Master Development Plan covered the following activities:Phase 1 (2005 -2006)
Phase 2(a): (2007 – 2008)
1. Phase 3: (2007 - 2008)
1. The work in the Master Development Plan has been completed.
VALLEY HUNT CLUB - (520 S. Orange Grove Boulevard) - 20-year Master Plan approved January 31, 2011. Master Plan originally approved 1986 and amended in 2000.
The Valley Hunt Club is a private social club established in the late 1800's and best known for starting the Tournament of Roses Parade in 1890. The Master Plan allows for additional programming by upgrading and expanding the existing facilities. The project involves construction of a 99-space, subterranean parking garage, a single-story structure, a two-story building, and an accessory office structure. The existing tennis courts would be aligned along the Palmetto Drive setback, the snack bar expanded, and the existing plant nursery would be replaced. Temporary tents are allowed on a seasonal basis. Temporary parking and valet service for 100 cars at the Palmetto Drive cul-de-sac is allowed during construction.
WESTRIDGE SCHOOL FOR GIRLS - (Ten-year Master Development Plan) Approved November 1993; Amended in 1998, December 2002, & September 2007
Westridge School for Girls (grades 4-12) is a private school located at 324 Madeline Drive with a total enrollment of 502 students and 105 employees. The 2007 Master Development Plan Amendment (MDPA) allowed expansion of the school campus (from 9.15 acres) to an adjacent residentially-zoned parcel, to 9.54 acres, increased the number of on-site parking spaces (a total of 167), and authorized demolition and construction of buildings over three phases (resulting in a net new increase of 46,779 square feet of building floor area and a total of 152,387 square feet after completion of Phase III).
WILLIAM CAREY INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY - (Ten-year Master Development Plan) Approved November 06, 2006
William Carey International University (WCIU) is a 14.81-acre campus located at 1539 East Howard Street. The campus houses a variety of educational and religious uses in eleven buildings (i.e. classrooms, cafeteria, library, dormitories, etc.). The approved Master Development Plan did not propose any new construction on site but rather, documents the various uses taking place on campus. Because of the focus on distance learning, the students are almost entirely off campus and facilities are available for use by other educational and religious organizations (Non-Governmental Organizations). The University has a maximum enrollment of 260 students. Currently, an elementary school and various Non-Governmental Organizations operate from the site. The private schools are limited to 335 students.