Scam artists continue to be on the prowl in Pasadena, posing as Pasadena Water and Power Department (PWP) representatives on the phone or in person to get their hands on your cash and personal financial data. Here’s how to spot the scammers:
• Genuine PWP employees have official picture IDs from the City and use official PWP vehicles.
• PWP meter readers and water staff do not need to go inside your home, unless your meter is in a service porch or you first requested an inside inspection.
• If your account is delinquent, you will receive a “Final Notice” in the U.S. mail, listing the final due date and methods of payment, before PWP ever calls you.
• Delinquent payments can only be made at City Hall or by phone, never at your door.
• To verify the status of your account, call (626) 744-4005, during normal business hours.
• On occasion, PWP does team up with companies to provide special services or products, but these are always free of charge. PWP never provides personal customer information to third-party sales people.
• Report any suspicious or fraudulent activity right away to the Pasadena Police Department at (626) 744-4241.