Air conditioners and home appliances work hard each summer to cope with rising temperatures and families home on vacation. If you want to save some money on your electric bill and help the environment, consider these tips:
- Replace air conditioner filters, set thermostat to 78 degrees and turn off the AC overnight or when you’re away. Open windows for natural cooling.
- Close drapes and blinds to keep rooms dark and cool.
- Set the refrigerator to 37 degrees minimum and clean coils regularly. Unplug or get rid of that old, spare refrigerator/freezer in the garage
- Remember to do full loads only in the washer, dryer and dishwasher before noon and after 7:00 p.m.
- Set your hot water heater to 120 degrees or “low” and use energy saving lights wherever possible, indoors and out.
Check out all the energy rebates at www.cityofpasadena.net/rebates