PASADENA BIKE WEEK ACTIVITIES MAY 13-18, 2013
PASADENA, Calif.—Have a “wheelie” good time with family and friends during the entire month of May discovering the joys and excitement—plus the health and environmental benefits—of riding a bicycle, especially with all of the free, fun activities during Pasadena’s Bike Week May 13-18.
Pasadena’s Bike Week, www.cityofpasadena.net/trans/bikeweek, is an annual week-long celebration of all things bicycle co-sponsored by the City and CICLE (Cyclists Inciting Change thru Live Exchange (CICLE) www.cicle.org as a safe, sustainable way to get around town.
Pasadena’s week of free activities are designed to teach new and existing riders how to navigate safely in traffic and to encourage motorists and bicyclists alike to safely share the road. The emphasis is on fun, safety, healthy lifestyle and reducing dependence on car transportation. While all residents are encouraged to participate in at least one Bike Week activity, also consider making bicycle riding a year-round activity!
- “A Taste of Pasadena Tour” from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., Monday, May 13 to sample Pasadena Playhouse District restaurants. Meet first at Memorial Park, 85 E. Holly St..
- Ladies Night, 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., Wednesday, May 15 at Paseo Colorado, 280 E. Colorado Blvd., with a “nuts-and-bolts” primer on fixing your own bike and group ride!
- Bike to Work Day, Thursday, May 16. All commuters are encouraged to get out of your car and on your bike! Special “Pit Stop” event from 6:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. at Pasadena City Hall (Euclid Avenue side) with local bicycle vendors, displays, free refreshments, prizes and surprises for bike-to-work riders! Locations and information on other Bike to Work Pit Stops in the greater Pasadena and Los Angeles County areas can be found at http://www.metro.net/bikes/bike-week.
- “Bike-in Movie Night” from 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m., Friday, May 17, at One Colorado. Bike in to watch a fun bike flick in the courtyard!
- Kids Costume Bicycle Parade, beginning 11:00 a.m., Saturday, May 18 at Victory Park, 2575 Paloma St. Join the Mayor for a family friendly Kids Costume Bicycle Parade. The bicycle parade will be an opportunity for everyone in Pasadena to come together for a family fun bike ride, which highlights safe routes for kids and families. All ages and skills levels are welcome, as are fun and whacky costumes for riders and their bikes!
The City’s Bike Week events are held in May, designated as National Bicycle Month by the League of American Bicyclists, www.bikeleague.org/programs/bikemonth.
For complete details and lists of things to bring for group rides, go to www.cityofpasadena.net/trans/bikeweek. Or, contact the Pasadena Department of Transportation at (626) 744-RIDE (7335) or by e-mail to email@example.com.
# # #
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 8, 2013 #043-13
NEWS MEDIA CONTACT: William H. Boyer, Pasadena Public Information Officer, City Manager’s Office, (626) 744-4755, firstname.lastname@example.org