PUBLIC COMMENT OPEN ON DRAFT EIR FOR ROSE BOWL TEMPORARY USE BY NFL
PASADENA, Calif.—Public comments are now being accepted on the Draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR) completed by the Pasadena Planning Department regarding the possible temporary use of the Rose Bowl by the National Football League (NFL).
Written comments on the Draft EIR must be submitted to the City by close of business Monday, October 8, 2012. Comments should be mailed or delivered to David Sinclair, Pasadena Planning Department, 175 N. Garfield Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91109. Written comments may also be submitted by email to RoseBowlNFLComments@cityofpasadena.net.
The public is encouraged to attend any or all of the following public meetings and may also submit oral comments in response to the Draft EIR at that time. The meetings include:
- Planning Commission, Special Meeting, 6:30 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 19, City Council Chambers, Room S249, 100 N. Garfield Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91101.
- Transportation Advisory Commission, Special Meeting, 6:30 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 27, Rose Bowl Media Center, 1001 Rose Bowl Drive, Pasadena, CA 91103. Park in Lot F. Enter through Auto Gate to the left of Gate A. Security will direct attendees to Media Center.
- Recreation and Parks Commission, Special Meeting, 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 2, Rose Bowl Media Center, 1001 Rose Bowl Drive, Pasadena, CA 91103. Park in Lot F. Enter through Auto Gate to the left of Gate A. Security will direct attendees to Media Center.
Responses to comments regarding the Draft EIR that are received during the public comment period will be incorporated into the Final EIR and presented to the City Council for its consideration. It is anticipated that the Final EIR will be available in the late Fall 2012.
The Draft EIR is available for review during regular business hours at the following locations:
• Office of the City Clerk, 100 N. Garfield Avenue, Room S228, Pasadena, CA.
• City of Pasadena, Permit Center (Window 3), 175 N. Garfield Avenue, Pasadena, CA.
• Central Library, 285 E. Walnut Avenue, Pasadena, CA.
• Linda Vista Branch Library, 1281 Bryant Street Pasadena, CA.
In addition, the Draft EIR is on the City’s website at www.cityofpasadena.net/Rose_Bowl_EIR. For additional information, please call Mr. David Sinclair at (626) 744-6766.
The Rose Bowl currently holds approximately 12 events per year that each generate more than 20,000 attendees, primarily on weekends. The Pasadena Municipal Code limits such event to no more than 12 per year. The proposed project would amend the Municipal Code, Chapter 3.32, to temporarily increase the limit for large events up to 25 per year. Currently, seven events are contractually reserved for the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) football games, plus two post-season collegiate games, including the Rose Bowl.
If amended, up to 13 events would be reserved for the NFL. The Rose Bowl would also continue to host other sporting events or concerts, with the total not to exceed 25 annually. The NFL’s proposed use would be temporary until a new NFL stadium is selected and built in the Los Angeles area, or until the completion of the football season, including playoffs, in 2018, whichever comes first.
For more information about the City of Pasadena, go to www.cityofpasadena.net.
# # #
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 15, 2012, #053-12
NEWS MEDIA CONTACT: William H. Boyer, Pasadena Public Information Officer, City Manager’s Office
(626) 744-4755, email@example.com