Before WWII, South Lake Avenue was bounded by houses on both sides of the street. In September of 1947, Bullock’s Department Store (now Macy’s) opened and South Lake Avenue would never by the same. This “store of tomorrow” was designed and merchandised to appeal to the “carriage trade” arriving by automobile. Bullock’s interior was created with an atmosphere of a “home” or an exclusive country club. The elegance and prestige of Bullock’s led to the development on both sides of South Lake Avenue with upscale shops, boutiques, national retailers and restaurants. South Lake Avenue had become one of the premiere shopping destinations of the San Gabriel Valley. In the early 1960’s, the northern section of South Lake Avenue, near Green, began to develop as a financial and professional district. This growth continued during the 1970s and 1980s, significantly increasing the professional day-time population. Today, many of the shops, restaurants and professional offices remain the same carrying with them the history of South Lake Avenue. In addition, many new businesses have moved into the area to meet the changing needs of our time. Throughout its fifty plus years of growth and expansion, South Lake Avenue has continued to maintain its status as a vital thriving community in the City of Pasadena.
South Lake Avenue Business Association 180 South Lake Avenue, Suite 350 Pasadena, CA 91101 (626) 792-1259 www.southlakeavenue.org